astrochoc

Print

This is serious!

You know how chocolate in large quantities can be dangerous to a dogs health?

Well read on....

 Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.


Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from a chain store to use in their garden.

They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Chocolate companies from their waste stream , and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the
dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog).
However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'


Snopes.com verifies this information. See their write-up at http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp
 
Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by large Chain and Garden supply stores, contains a lethal
ingredient called ' Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts
dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in
all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially
toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that
ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours
later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of
theobromine.

PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!